Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Reverse Snob

Somedays I am such a reverse snob. It is amusing yet very frustrating for me to be a part of this "fancy smancy" life. I really should just suck it up and learn to enjoy this stuff. My mom just can't believe I am cut from the same cloth as her.
Saturday my hubbie's boss invited us to Breakfast at Tiffany's (yes that Tiffanys) and gave me a gift certificate to show his appreciation for all the long hard hours that my DH puts in at the office.
Anyone that knows me knows I am definitely not the Tiffany's type so what in the world was I going to do with a big fat gift certificate? I was caught in the middle of this intense internal battle between trying to be gracious and hating being at Breakfast at Tiffany's. In the end (and actually the entire time there) my immaturity won out and now I am left with such feeling of quilt and anger at myself. Why can't I just accept the generosity? Why did I find it so condescending to my soul?
Somedays it really sucks being me. On these days I wish I was more like my mother.
Oh man I didn't just type that did I? Send HELP ASAP!

1 comment:

Holly said...

funny how we become like our parents over time. Remember that scene with Steve Martin shaking his finger at his kid while admonishing them? Mid-shaking/yelling he says..."when did I get my father's finger?" Anyway, I think you did great and no worries.....you can't force what isn't and perhaps someday Tiffany's will make a crystal art kit or something else just PERFECT! See you soon!