Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Morning Pages

So many people have told me about Julia Cameron's book The Artist Way (TAW) that I decided to give it to myself for Christmas. I really am quite thoughtful! Today was the BIG start DAY.
I am a journal writer, have been since I was 12 (way back in 1974) and I feel this urge to call these pages mourning pages. Julia says in TAW that those who most resent the morning pages learn to love them the most. Will this be me? What I find difficult is not being able to reread them. I am green on this matter so I have to trust those that have come before me, but I don't see the difference between morning pages and what I already do in my journal.
Any Insights?

2 comments:

kat said...

hi there!

i think the idea behind not reading the pages after you've written them is partly so that you can feel free to write total crap, spew nonsense, nothing pretty, just free-form, doesn't need to make sense, stream-of-consciousness writing. And also so that you're not attached to what you're writing, as if when you were done, you could burn the pages. i also think the difference, at least for me, is that in a journal you're recording your life and in the mp's you're cleaning your brain out, as in a "brain dump."

is that helpful? i think it's probably a little different for everyone, but give it a try for the duration and see what you think. :-)

Knitting Painter Woman said...

I agree with Kat... too much, and PREMATURE analysis of our ideas, thoughts and writing just leads to criticism and paralysis. After 6 weeks, you can go back and look for trends, potterns and themes... without judgment. On a good day, MP's are rather like weeding a good garden... get rid of the weeds, notice all the new growth and what needs special tending.