Friday, February 03, 2006

I Can't Take It Anymore

Reading Deprivation Week seems all wrong to me. Reading has never stood in the way of my creativity.
T.V. YES!
Surfing aimlessly on the Web YES!
But NOT reading. In fact I have a confession to make...I'm a recovering non-reader. I use to love to read and then I had kids and I stopped reading for myself.
OH sure I still read but Dr. Seuss and Eric Carle don't REALLY count. So depriving me from reading is like asking a recovering alcoholic to hang out in the bar or a recovering anorexic to just skip a few meals.

*****BTW -I gave up T.V. as of 12.21.2005 almost 100% (except for E.R. I watch no T.V.)
Aimlessly surfing the web? Not yet but maybe for Lent this year.

5 comments:

Kara said...

Otter- that's great about TV. I've greatly reduced my watching - but it's not out completely. I can relate to how it causes me to avoid my own creativity. Good to "read" you are back.

tess said...

I can relate to this no-reading reaction. I don't watch TV--except for occasional documentaries. I don't even know what the channels are. But no reading?!?!?

It's been healthy for me to (sort of)stop compulsively reading blogs--my newfound passion--but it's been really hard to give up audiobooks--my lifeline to sanity.

Endment said...

Otter - You are not alone! I live out in the sticks in one of the few areas left in the world where there is no TV available. Reading is second in my life to breathing.

You have lots and lots of sympathy!

Blue Dog said...

oh geez, i'm so glad we're "allowed" to read again!

Holly said...

Okay, I read The Artist's Way (a LONG time ago)and I don't remember giving up reading. couldn't do it....love, love, love to read. TV stinks (although I have a few indulgences like 'lost') but reading rules. Perhaps I blew that chapter off as I was READING it!