Friday, March 17, 2006

My Daughter "L" is Ill

Hello! Up to my ears in Jell-O. :-(

I've had such an intense week. My daughter (she's 8) has been very ill. This week we've been to the pediatrician and the pediatric GI. She is scheduled for a procedure next Thursday. That seems like years from now because she is in SO much pain.

None of my fabulous maternal tricks are working.

It is wearing me out. She is calling out every 10 minutes in such slicing pain that is unnerving. Am I bad mother? Should I be doing more? Do I need to stand outside of the doctor's office ranting and raving until someone, anyone helps us?

Daily calls to the doctors' nurses are typical, as are their replies to try Zantac, a heating pad, propping her up at a new angle, etc... Nothing, NOTHING seems to be working. If she doesn't get better soon I think we will be headed to the ER. At least there I will get some sort of services.

Please tell me something...give me a magic answer. Let me know the one most obvious thing I've been over looking. I will be forever grateful for your wisdom.

7 comments:

GreenishLady said...

Oh, Lisa, I have no magic answers, but you have my heartfelt sympathy. Nothing is worse than that feeling of helplessness in the face of a sick child. Hang in there, and my prayers are for a speedy recovery.

naturallynice said...

I can sympathise. My girl is an awful, awful patient too. Deep breaths, drink water, deep breaths again. When I was little, for mother's day the teachers at school would sermonise about the sacrifices mothers make for their children, how they spend sleepless nights when the little ones are ill and blah blah blah.. I used to think "Why do they have sleepless nights?"

Now I know...

Hang in there.. just a little more...

xx

Esther

Endment said...

There are few things as difficult as having your child in pain and not being able to provide relief for them. Along with greeenishlady, you have my heartfelt sympathy.

It is my experience that children usually don't fuss and cry a lot unless there is something wrong. If I were in your place, I would take my child to an urgent care center or to the emergency room. I would want want the benefit of having a different physician taking a look at her and evaluating the situation.

Alexandra G said...

I wish I had advice. I don't have children yet but I did want to say hello and send you warm wishes that your daughter will be healthy and pain-free really, really soon.

Kara said...

Oh Dear Lisa, you posted this yesterday and I wonder and I hope your daughter is better. I have no advice for you - but I certainly will keep you and your daughter in my good thoughts. May healing and relief be there now!

artjunk~ said...

ah, I've been there. the poor thing, that's tough pain to bare, but I would encourage her to relax as much as possible as pain get's worse when you get tense. Follow your instincts as Mother and take her to the ER or do whatever you feel you need to right now. I know it's hard. We wish we could spare them of every pain but they go through one thing or another from time to time. She will be better soon! hang in! you are a great Mom!

Holly said...

One of my strongest and most endearing memories of my mother is from when I was around 9 and in HUGE pain. Broke both arms, both wrists, massive stitches...the whole drill. Had a big old accident and did the ER drill. She slept in my bed with me all night the first few days. She held me and talked to me when I hurt. She took it away the best she could and I forever love her for that. I know she would have done anything to make it hers, not mine, and in doing so she showed how much she loved me.