Thursday, April 06, 2006

Poetry Thursday --- Lovely and Rooted Janie

Please bear with me. In honor of Poetry Thursday I tried my hand at writing a poem! Here's the background: Today in the Charlotte Observer there was a story about a woman named Janie Ferrell. Her family has passed plants down for the last five generations. Her story inspired me to write this poem. It is still a little rough, but I'm O.K. with that because poems are not my usual style.


Lovely and Rooted Janie
Lisa Otter

In a blooming garden,
where Bridal Wreath Spiraea
arch their graceful branches
laden with white flowers,
come discover Janie Ferrell
firmly planted.

She tends to her roots,
blessed with her precious gifts.
Generation to generation
these legacy plants
pass mother to daughter
with gentle loving care.

The Peonies sweet story,
the Garden Phlox's cheer.
The Lilacs, Daffodils, Irises all have something to share.
Hear the soft whisper from Daylilies in the summer's breeze.

It has been this way for five generations,
plants connecting,
grandmothers to granddaughters,
through their roots,
growing deeper,
inseparable by time.

8 comments:

Kara said...

I love the ending - kind of brings tears to my eyes!

Sky said...

This story is so neat! Sharing plants makes them so much more special. How brave of you to write a poem to share here with us today! What a good job you did!

tess said...

Beautiful, Lisa--both the story and the poem! Even more beautiful--seeing you doing a new dance, fearless and free. You go!

Endment said...

I want to walk in the garden.

GreenishLady said...

I love this, and the roots, and all the colour I see. Thank you.

liz elayne said...

inseparable by time.
this line is wondrous...

Charlie Ferrell said...

Lovely and rooted
Jane was very touched by this poem. A friend of ours stumbled accros it and sent her a copy in a get well card in July. Janie passed away this morning after a long battle with Hepatitis C. I want to thank you Lisa for this lovely poem and would also like to send you some photos of Janie in her garden.

Thanks,
Charlie Ferrellh

Louise said...

Thank You, Lisa for a wonderful poem that evokes so well Janie's spirit. I have a beautiful daylily from her garden that I call "Janie's Lemon Ruffle" in my garden here in PA. I'll be passing it on to my friends with a copy of your poem. We will miss her deeply.