Monday, October 02, 2006

Vermi-composting

I started my own worm ranch yesterday. Being a newbie I have no idea what I'm getting myself into...

HERE'S what I did....

I took a large plastic tote box and punched some drain holes on the bottom. Next, I filled it with moistened newspaper. Then I added a mixture of grass clippings, kitchen compost, a bit of clay and potting soil between each newspaper layer . Finally I added the fifteen or twenty volunteer worms. So far so good.

Do you have a vermi-compost ranch in your life? I'd love to learn more.

1 comment:

GreenishLady said...

You will get to love your worms! Our local council sold vermicomposting kits a few years ago, and I've been keeping a large bin of worms well fed for a long time. There is a supply of super-rich compost waiting for my planned foray into vegetable-growing next year. Well done on making your own set-up.