Friday, December 15, 2006

This Writer's Life

Struggling Everyday...

It has taken a long time for me to publicly say: I'm a writer. Because in my mind, a writer is someone who actually gets paid for writing. I've never been paid a cent for my words, although Maureen Ryan Griffin did give me a free autographed copy of her book, Spinning Words Into Gold. When she asked my permission to print two of my pieces in her book I hugged her. After that something inside of me shifted. Her belief in my words has given me the confidence to feel like a Real Writer.

Back in May, when I participated in this Sunday's Scribblings Post, I had no idea it was the seedling of what will become my biggest goal of this coming year, to complete my first novel. Last Spring and Summer, my mind and my pen got busy planning, researching and writing the first chapter. Then in September, life threw me some pretty big curves and I had to put my story on hold. But always in my mind I kept thinking about it. In November, life settled down again and I decided to participate in NaNoWriMo. I really disappointed myself when I was only able to complete 5,647 words; a far cry from the 50,000 word goal. But still I had 4,300 more words than I did on October 31.

Realizing what I really needed was a class, I signed up for a three week workshop with Maureen. The ever-knowing writing coach, she's pushed me along, helping me visualize the story that's dancing inside of me as a completed novel. I've made a What-By-When plan and will join my first ever writer's group in January. By the end of May it is my goal to have my final draft complete and off in proposal form. It's time to stop dreaming the dream and get that pen moving.

4 comments:

GreenishLady said...

I'm delighted to hear you are setting goals and starting to visualise your book. Long before I had any offer from a publisher, I was doodling the cover for my book (turned out completely different, but I had a vision), and (blush, blush) having vivid daydreams of the launch, at which I would be feted and applauded... what do you know? It happened. Not exactly as I'd pictured it, but it happened. Go dream! Go visualise! Go write! A generous-spirited coach or mentor will take you a long way. That's a great way to start the new year. I'm looking forward to hearing about how it's going.

leah said...

this is SO wonderful! good on you for reaching some goals and setting some more. keep at it!!!

Kara said...

such good advice from Greenishlady - this post makes me feel good because it is so inspiring. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. I'll be cheering for you along the way!

Cate said...

Bravo, Lisa! Have a wonderful time getting there! xo